Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Six Days and Counting

We are on the count down for school to begin! I never know just how Mike will embrace the start of the school session. He has had the world by the tail here for three months. We have spent our summer break very relaxed with most everything revolving around Mike: just as he likes it to be ( wouldn't all of us! ).

We will shop for our school supplies and some new cloths later this week. I was not ready to shop until now as I was unsure if Mike would be excited for this or dreading this. Mike does not have the understanding for me to shop and tell him that this is for school in a few weeks. For Mike if something is purchased now - then you use it now. Later is not something Mike does real well at.

Mike has enjoyed his summer playing in his play yard, jumping on the trampoline, 4-wheeling, watching movies, drawing, and honing his laptop skills and running the printer. He loves a routine that is just his own with little to no interruption's. We have a shopping day one day each week. He loves to shop but assumes that shopping is just for him and what he wants to have and then we should be done and get back to home.

I have tried to get Mike back into a early bed time routine before school starts. That has not gone very well. The only person who appears to be ready for bed at an earlier time is me. Jim has been gone much of this summer working so Mike and I have been running solo here. He misses his dad and I sure miss someone to tag team with even if for just a brief bit of time in the evening.

In 6 days that bus will be in our driveway and Mike will have a big surprise. I will ease him into it again and will mention school starting this weekend. I have brought it up a few weeks ago and he was unhappy. He yelled a bit and ran to his room. He loves it here at home with his mom. He loves every ounce of my attention to be only for him. Hey, who wouldn't like that? It is however not a reality. I have enjoyed my one on one time with Mike around the clock for the past 3 months. I am however exhausted! I look forward to both Mike and I finding our "public" legs again. He needs to get back in the routine of learning and relating with other people besides his mother. I need to get back to "playing" with grown ups for the day. Both of us find our groove when we are summer bound at home. It is always a concern when it is time to shift once again.

I will enter Mike's new school year with the highest expectations for all involved-Mike included. Mike has a voice and has found some words. I believe with proper attention and time with his fantastic speech teacher he may find more of his voice and a clear understanding of the power of his speech to be the key that unlocks many doors in his life for him.
Mike and I believe his teachers last year saw a marked improvement in Mike and their ability to reason with Mike when a few words came. I continue to hope ( and pray real hard ) that they find the time and staff to invest more in his speech work as without good communication between them they are often at odds. The time to investment in him is now. Meeting Mike's educational needs in my focus for his school year.

I know many families are in the same situation as we are with school starting. There is a bit sweet and sour that comes with this time of year. Just know that you are not alone. I will be awake the night before school begins and will pace the floor when he leaves and wonder how it going? I will like many have days when Mike is upset at leaving to go to school. I wish I could stop time and keep Mike young and innocent and be there for him always. I know that is not realistic so we must find the tools to move forward and do the best we can for our autistic kids and prepare for a time when we are no longer here.

With that said- here is to another school year!!

Peace`
JJJS

No comments: