Thursday, January 17, 2008

Teacher's and Educational Staff that Abuse Special Needs Children

January 17,2008

The front page of our newspaper has again the headlines of abuse to a Special Needs Child done by a teacher currently under paid leave by abuse allegations for tw0 (2) disabled children one Autistic the other not specified as of yet by the press nor the reports.

The school district next to ours - Willmar, MN is under the microscope again. A second lawsuit has been filed against a Special Education Teacher. The allegations are heart wrenching and other teachers and paraprofessionals in the school have also reported this teacher for mistreatment and abuse allegations in the past. I am not going to write a "report" on what all of the allegations are or frankly where I currently stand on the guilt or innocence of the teacher. I have followed countless articles and read all of the reports and lawsuit filings that I can find on the matter. What I found in addition to the shock of the situation is the article comments from the public that seem to more and more blame the parents for having their children with a disability in a public school or that their parenting has lead to these children being abused in school. I will await and allow the legal process to run it's course as that is the right thing to do. This does have a personal touch to our family. Our son has never been a student at this school; but we did look at the school and gave it some consideration when we were looking at open enrollment for Michael.

What I will say, as I am saving the situation and details for my next book, along with the photos. We have seen with our own eyes what can happen to your child left in the care of educated professionals. What we have learned is this. School officials and teachers make very poor excuses for the reason why they hurt our disabled children. The scrambling act that follows this is just stomach turning for us. When a non verbal Autistic child comes home with bruises, scratches and abrasions and you find out it was a trained professional that did this to a 5 year old disabled child, what ever the "reason or excuse" to justify their acts is really pointless to we parents. A child who loved school, now refuses to go. Aggressive behavior done to them is now taught to them as a way to protect themselves when teachers try to get near them and the domino effect now happens. A child who was happy and playful now is angry and aggressive with you the parent when you try to send them to school. A peaceful home full of love and laughter is now a war zone. As if these children do not have enough to overcome and contend with, now people are abusing them and the world just watches on and makes excuses. For many they see our children with a Special Need as damaged goods, that are not really that good after all, just a burden on society. As a parent with a 6 year old Autistic child I know first hand about contending with life's unfair game that it can play and what stress is and what the world of day to day challenges are. I am so tired of hearing about Special Education staff burnout and that is what is causing this to happen and that those doing this are really not to blame, they are just stressed out by their jobs. My answer to that is this. If I as a parents left bruises on my 5 year old Autistic son, on his face, wrists, ankles, back and legs. Scratch marks on various parts of his body, and abrasions and scrapes on him from pinning him this is what I know.

#1. I would be turned in to the proper authorities right away
#2. I would be arrested
#3. Our son would be removed from our home and a safe place provided
#4. There would be a public out cry against me
#5. The public would feel compassion for my Special Needs Child as this was done by a horrible parent
#6. I would be chastised and punished in the public's eye and by the legal system
#7. A complete investigation would be done and would not be allowed to drag on for many months or years.
#8. There would be no union for me to hide behind and lost wages and benefits continued to be provided months and even a year (s) going by still receiving these benefits.
# 9. My telling the public that I was stressed out and will not do this again would not mean that "all is well" and forgiven send her son home today and only if enough people complain will we return ever again to check in on your son
#10. I would not have the backing of the "brotherhood & sisterhood" of other parents making and supporting foolish excuses made to place the real blame on my son at 6 years of age instead of me the parent.
#11. I would not have a multi million dollar "empire" in a parental "union" backing me up and fighting for me to have my son returned and life to just go on as if it never happened.
#12. The words miscommunication and misunderstanding would be interpreted for what they really mean
( B.S) and not as though they were some secret society Harvard Law words that well educated people use in place of "true and meaningful words" to cover for a lie and think that people really buy those words. * When I hear those words used by intelligent people.....my mind jumps right to the lie I am being told.

This is why I am so bothered......why do we as a society except it from a teacher and make excuses?

Here is a link to the article that also provides a complete link to all of the past information and legal in the press


http://www.wctrib.com/articles/index.cfm?id=29744&section=homepage

No comments: