Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's Just Another Monday in Paradise

Today started out with a bit of a bang- the bang of the death of my laptop computer. This is not the first death of a PC that I have had and I am sure not the last, still it is a death. I am a stress er' given the chance and I jumped in neck deep today first thing. Like all of us I have a routine. Mine is simple. When I awake the first thing I do is turn my laptop on. I walk away and do my morning routine, grab some coffee and head for my desk. I start by scanning several newspapers and websites. I read the highlights of several newspapers, taking notes on the way so I can surf a bit more to return and read articles later that morning. Again...not today!

We had a lightning storm last night and I think that was the issue. I had chest pains when my last PC died and what I can only describe is my first (and only ever) panic attack when my last one died. This was not as bad as I learned from the last one that my anxiety and stress did nothing to fix the situation. I paced around the house for a bit with anger. I continued to monkey with it- by chance that it would revive and come back to life. Little luck there. I found myself taking out loud to only dogs in the room who followed me when I walked as my talking they took as chatting to them.

I went as far as firing up an older laptop of about three years. It crashed (some what) a while ago. I could not bare to toss it as I had done some great work on it and it was like a dear friend. I turned it on and to my surprise after at least two years, it came to life. It still sat on my desk since it crashed neatly closed and I dusted it every so often. What I discovered was a true blessing.

I spent several hours reading old emails and looking at an array of photos from at least three years ago. It was a trip down memory lane and I loved it. I also took some time to go into files that I had not looked at in a very long time.

At about 3 P.M. I could take it no more. I jumped in the car and headed for Best Buy. I was an easy sale for them and got what I wanted and even treated myself to a bit of flare to go with my new laptop. I have enjoyed the extra speaker system that I purchased already. My laptop is now stereo central- we've got tunes baby and serious sound going on here. Most laptops have horrible sound quality to them, not anymore.

I discovered many things in the old laptop that I had forgotten. Little did I know that I still had a sizable amount of cash in my old itunes account ( I also have on the one that died today ) . I also have a ton of tunes on itunes that I never put on my ipod ( also the same for the dead one today I am sure ). It helped to find a few positives today's instead of the all the negatives of today. I lost some work and most of my email addresses. My favorites list - gone and several movies that I purchased ( I found some of those on the old PC too ). It let me know that it is so easy to have unfinished issues that still need resolution that are just hanging above our heads much of the time. I am determined to somehow get the old itunes, movies and the cash account that I have on both other laptops onto this new laptop.

I went to the safe today and reassured myself that I did backup the seventeen chapters of my novel that were on the computer that died. I lost a bit but have the base still intact. I have no one to blame but myself that I lost things.

As to the new laptop. It looks beautiful and has all the bells and whistles on it. Still it is not what I had and I hate change and fight it every step of the way. This I know will be no different. I also know this. In a bit of time this to will become a new friend and I will mourn the day that it to dies. I also know that I will replace this at some point and feel the same way.

I try so hard to find a positive within a negative, learn from it and apply it to my daily life. Today was no different. I lost a friend and met a new one. My past work was done on 2 former laptops and my future work is on this one.

I need to close this and move to the night groove for Mike. He had a great day also. He loves to shop at Best Buy. He got a few things also. He was pleased and I took him out to dinner.

Jim has been working out of town. I was the best wife ever when he called this evening to check in. He asked how our day was and I said it was great. I spared him the drama of my day let alone the amount of my purchase on my new friend. I believe that a few things left between friends is more then acceptable.

Enjoy the evening-

Julie

No comments: